Hockey is the most popular sport in Canada, and many of hockey’s most famous players are Canadian. One of the main reasons that hockey is Canada’s nation pastime is that the game originated there. Several Canadian cites, such as Windsor and Halifax, have claimed that hockey started there, and there are stories of people playing outdoor hockey from early in the 19th century. The first recorded game of indoor hockey, however, occurred in 1875 in Montreal. The game’s popularity soon spread across the country. Hockey is now played across the globe, and Canadians take great pride in being Read more…
If you’re a big fan of hockey, you probably want to be able to find out all of the latest news on your favorite players and teams. One thing to keep in mind is that many people will be able to find this information easily online, so this is something you will want to consider for yourself. Finding sports news on the Internet is actually incredibly easy because you can catch up on literally anything that you might have missed in a Read more…
Following a prolonged labor dispute between players and owners, the National Hockey League is back and better than ever. With the game’s popularity at an all-time high, NHL executives are debating whether they should expand the number of teams in the league and spread the sport to different markets. Below are a list of a few markets that could make excellent candidates for the NHL’s expansion Franchises.
The city has a great fan base and has a growing hockey presence. With the current absence of a professional basketball team in the city there is a void that could Read more…
10. On March 6, 1984 Dale Hawerchuk set the record for the most assists in the NHL with five.
9. Gerry Cheevers set the NHL record for longest undefeated streak at 32 games during the 1971-1972 season.
8. Doug Jarvis set the record for the most consecutive games played with 964 games between October 8, 1975 and October 10 1987.
7. Wayne Gretzky holds the records for most goals both in total goals (1016) and season goals (92) in 1981-1982.
6. Only hours after the Edmonton Oilers won the Stanley Cup in 1988, they traded the legendary 11-year Canadian icon Wayne Gretzky to the LA Kings.
5. The Detroit Red Read more…
There are so many great hockey players that play for or are from the Eastern Bloc countries. Let’s take a look at several now.
Alexander Radulov is from Russia. He started in the NHL with the Nashville Predators, scoring his first NHL goal against the San Jose Sharks in 2006.
Tony Martensson is from Sweden. He has played in the KHL, NHL, and Elitserien leagues and was awarded the Guldhjalmen during the 2007-08 season as the most valuable player.
Vadim Schipachev is from Russia and plays for HC Severstal Read more…
The National Hockey League has had a history of great teams, with a handful standing out as the best. Here is a look at the top 10 NHL teams of all time:
1. 1976-77 Montreal Canadiens: This Stanley Cup champion won 60 games in the regular season, losing just once at home. The team won its division by 49 points.
2. 1983-84 Edmonton Oilers: Wayne Gretzky, known as “The Great One,” was in his prime as this team rolled to the Stanley Cup.
3. 1988-89 Calgary Flames: This team dominated the regular season, beating second-seeded Montreal easily for the Stanley Read more…
First to achieve 500 goal career. First to score 50 goals in a seaon. 8 Stanley Cups.
32 seasons, most games played. Six Hart Trophies and six Art Ross Trophies. Four Stanley Cup wins.
Called second only to Orr as a defenseman. Seven Norris trophies. Eleven consecutive All-Star games.
Took team to consecutive Stanley Cup wins. Beat Hodgkins disease to come back and score two more titles.
One of the game’s best Read more…
Like all other professional sports, the National Hockley League is full of talented athletes. While that fact alone makes it difficult to narrow the list, we can decide who are the Top 10 best hockey players. Some have had a shortened season due to injuries and others are coming off a less than stellar year. Despite that, these are the 10 best and are likely to return to their All-Star form in the upcoming season.
The NHL’s Read more…